Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Marachino Cherry Cake


My mom's tenth birthday cake was a maraschino cherry cake. She made the cake for my birthday one year, in a time where everyone saved his or her files on floppy disks. The recipe has been lost, and there has been much to-do and hand ringing as a result.

We visited a family friend in late August. Mom asked if she remembered the cake from her tenth birthday, and our friend stood up, walked to her kitchen, and procured the recipe above. We made the cake, and my mom thinks this is the recipe. We used Crisco instead of Spry, and my mom thinks she'll use butter next time. (There's a difference between butter and vegetable shortening, but my mom thinks her mother used butter.)


DSCF0753


Spry, by the way, was a vegetable shortening introduced in the mid-1930s and phased out by the 1960s. (Wikipedia says 1950s, but that would make this recipe ineligible for my mom's birthday, and she's certain Spry was used.) I stray from recipes requiring shortening (or lard and sometimes even vegetable oil), so I'm not sure what to do here.

Alternatively, I could buy Spry from Cyprus, where it is available. (Manufactured for Unilever!) Surely the Internet could come through for that.

No comments: